The scientist Barry Barish
131 The scientist
Living place: New York
Birthday: 27-1-1936 (86 years old)
Global rank: #38878
Phone number: updating
Barry Barish full name is Barry Clark Barish, he is an American experimental physicist. He is the Linde Professor of Physics, honorary at the California Institute of Technology. He is a leading expert on gravitational waves.
In 2017, Barish was awarded the Nobel Prize in physics along with Rainer Weiss and Kip Thorne for decisive contributions to LIGO detectors and gravity wave observations school.
For his remarkable contributions to the astronomical sciences, Barry Barish has been elected to a number of important positions:
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences (AAAS)
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS)
- National Science Council (NSB)
- Member of the American Physical Society 2008
- Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Nobel Prize in Physics (2017) (together with Rainer Weiss and Kip Thorne)
In 1994 he joined the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO), and in 1997 he became director. He led the effort through NSF National Science Foundation approval in 1994, and built and commissioned the LIGO Livingston, LA and Hanford, WA interferometers in 1997. He founded the LIGO Scientific Collaboration , with more than 1000 collaborators worldwide to carry out the science.
The original LIGO detectors reached design sensitivities and established many limits on astronomical sources. The enhanced LIGO proposal was developed while Barish was director, and he has continued to play leading roles in LIGO and Advanced LIGO. The first detection of the merger of two 20-mass black holes was made on September 14, 2015. This represents the first direct detection of gravitational waves because they have been detected. Einstein predicted in 1916 and first observed the merger of a pair of black holes. Barish presented the first presentation of this discovery to a scientific audience at CERN on 11 February 2016 with the public announcement.
Barry Barish is married to Samoan Barish. His children are Stephanie Barish and Kenneth Barish, professor and chair of Physics and Astronomy at the University of California, Riverside.
Barry Barish birthday 27-1-1936 (at the age of 86).
Where is The scientist Barry Barish's birth place, what is Zodiac/Chinese Zodiac?
Barry Barish was born in New York, of United States. Mr, whose Zodiac is Aquarius, and who Chinese Zodiac is The Rat. Barry Barish's global rank is 38878 and whose rank is 131 in list of famous The scientist.
Scientist Barry Barish Portrait
The famous scientist Barry Barish's bright smile
Barry Barish in a lecture
Scientist Barry Barish - Gary Sanders - Kip Thorne
Scientist Barry Barish in a stem talk
Top famous The scientist
Top famous Zodiac of Aquarius
Top famous Chinese Zodiac of The Rat
Top celebrities born in 1936
Top celebrities born in January
Top celebrities born in 27th
Born in New York
Comment: Your name:
Events in 1936 and 27-1
Events in the world in the birth year of Barry Barish
- Rome-Berlin Axis is proclaimed (Japan to join in 1940).
- King George V dies; succeeded by son, Edward VIII, who soon abdicates to marry an American-born divorcée, and is succeeded by brother, George VI.
- Spanish civil war begins. Hundreds of Americans join the "Lincoln Brigades." (Franco's fascist forces defeat Loyalist forces by 1939, when Madrid falls.)
- War between China and Japan begins, to continue through World War II.
- Japan and Germany sign anti-Comintern pact; joined by Italy in 1937.
- Gen. Anastasio Somoza leads a coup d'etat in Nicaragua ushering in Somoza family dictatorship for more than 4 decades.
Birthday Barry Barish (27-1) in history
- Day 27-1 year 1880: Thomas Edison was granted a patent for his incandescent light.
- Day 27-1 year 1944: The Soviets announced the end of the two-year siege of Leningrad.
- Day 27-1 year 1945: The Russians liberated Auschwitz concentration camp, where the Nazis had killed over 1.5 million people, including over 1 million Jews.
- Day 27-1 year 1951: The U.S. Air Force started atomic testing in the Nevada desert.
- Day 27-1 year 1967: The Apollo I fire killed astronauts Grissom, White, and Chaffee during a simulated launch at Cape Canaveral.
- Day 27-1 year 1973: Vietnam War peace accords were signed in Paris.